Ingredients (four servings):
- ½ cube of fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy drink, lukewarm
- 500g wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 300ml water, lukewarm
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Crumble the fresh yeast into a small cup and stir in the sugar and lukewarm soy drink until smooth.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl, add salt and mix well. Press a hole into the flour and pour in the yeast mix. Sprinkle the yeast with some flour and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel. Let it rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Mix flour and yeast with a hand mixer after the time has passed. Add shots of lukewarm water and keep kneading. Finally, add oil and knead on a high level for about 5 minutes until a smooth dough is formed. Using your hands knead the dough into a ball and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes at room temperature in the covered bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: peel the onion and cut it into thin wedges or cubes. Wash zucchini and dice. Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and fry onions until glazed. Clean the mushrooms with a brush and chop them, add the onions to the pan and fry for a few minutes. Finally, add zucchini pieces into the pan with the vegetables and sauté. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper, and hot chili.
- Core bell pepper and cut it into fine strips. Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- Cut dough ball into 8 equal parts. Halve each of the parts and knead with hands to 16 equal-sized balls. On a floured work surface roll out each ball of dough to round dough sheets of about 10cm in diameter.
- Grate vegan alternative to sliced cheese, mix with the steamed vegetables, and add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of the filling in the center of each dough. Add a few cherry tomato pieces, strips of red pepper, and rocket or basil leaves to the vegetables. Do not cover the edges. Fold dough sheets into pockets and press the edges together firmly, so that no filling drips out while baking. Place the finished calzone on a lined baking tray, brush the top with a little water and bake in a preheated oven at 190 °C for about 15 minutes. Brush with water again and bake for another 15 minutes.
A recipe by Sophie Mathisz