Ingredients (for five people):
- 100g walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 carrot, large
- walnut oil
- black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ iceberg lettuce
- 1 red pepper
- 3-4 spring onions
- 1 can of corn (200g)
- 150g vegan alternative to ham
- 150g vegan alternative to cheese
- 200g vegan alternative to sour cream
- 80g vegan alternative to yogurt
- Chives, freshly chopped
- Chop walnuts coarsely. Caramelise brown sugar with a tablespoon of orange juice and fry the nuts briely in it. Spread on a baking paper and let cool. Chop a second time after cooling.
- Peel and grate carrots, mix with a dressing of 2 tablespoons walnut oil, a tablespoon of orange juice, salt and pepper and let stand briefly.
- Cut iceberg lettuce and red peppers into thin strips. Cut green onions into thin rings. Cut vegan cheese and ham into thin strips.
- Stir vegan alternative to sour cream with yogurt alternative, half the orange juice and 1-2 spoons of walnut oil in a bowl until smooth.
- Add salad ingredients in layers to glasses or salad bowls: corn, peppers, vegan alternative to ham pieces, iceberg lettuce strips, topped by a thin layer of sour cream dressing. Then add carrot salad and sprinkle some caramelised walnuts on it. Then iceberg lettuce, vegan alternative to cheese slices and green onion layers, ending with iceberg lettuce as the uppermost layer. Generously spread the remaining sour cream dressing on top and garnish with walnuts and chopped chives.
The layer salad tastes best when it is allowed to rest for a few hours. Before serving, sprinkle the remaining orange juice over the salad.
A recipe from Sophie Mathisz