Ingredients (for seven people):
- 1 loaf of brown or whole-grain bread, round shape
- ¼ bunch fresh herbs (e.g. chives or parsley)
- 3-4 tablespoons Ajvar alternative: vegetable spreads
- black pepper, freshly ground
- lettuce (some leaves)
- ½ cucumber
- 3 tomatoes
- vegan spread
- vegan alternative to sausage
- vegan alternative to cheese slices
- Cut the bread horizontally and set the top aside. Hollow the inside of the remaining loaf, but allow an approximately 1.5-2cm thick rim along the bread crust.
- Wash herbs, shake dry and chop. Crumble the bread mass from inside the loaf into small pieces . Add 3-4 tablespoons Ajvar and freshly chopped herbs (depending on the quantity and size of the loaf) and work with an electric mixer or a blender to a semi-solid, spreadable paste. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Wash lettuce leaves, radishes, cucumber and tomatoes and pat dry. Cut vegetables (except for the salad leaves) into slices.
- Spread vegan cream alternative to cheese on the bottom of the hollowed-out loaf of bread. Put lettuce evenly on the cream alternative to cheese and put slices of vegan sausage alternative on top. Repeat layer by layer to fill the bread with the remaining ingredients: Vegan alternative to cheese slices, tomato, cucumber and radish slices. Add a layer of the bread-Ajvar-mass in between. Put some pressure on the layers from time to time, cover everything with the loaf-top and fix it (e.g. with a tape or household rubber). Store the bread in the fridge before serving.
Cut the bread like a cake before serving.
Our tip: No limits for filling! Even a sweet variety is possible – use natural vegan spreads, nougat spread and bananas as filling!
A recipe from Sophie Mathisz