VEGAN ROAST WELLINGTON:
- 2 red onions
- 400 g of wild boars or mushrooms
- Some olive oil, for frying
- Black Pepper
- ½ bunch of parsley
- 1 slice of white bread or rolls
- 1 Packing of vegan puff pastry (Ready to serve as a roll – to be found in supermarket refrigeration department)
- Approx. 100 g of vegan sausage
- Vegan Roast
- Some soy or almond cuisine
- Some tomato paste
- 2 Bunch of carrots
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 1 tbsp sweet mustard
- 1 tbsp mustard, medium-strength
- 2 tbsp of orange or apple cider
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove of garlic
- Handful parsley, freshly chopped
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 shallots
- 300 ml Madeira dessert wine
- 200 ml light vegetable broth
- Some rosemary
- Handful of thyme
- Orange peel, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp of Cornstarch
- Peel and mince the red onion. Clean the mushrooms with a brush (do not wash) and cut them into 4 peaces.
Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and glaze the onions, add the mushrooms and sear. Pepper and salt to your liking. Take the frying pan of the stove and intermix fresh chopped parsley. Let the roasted mushrooms get cold spread them out on a cutting board and mince them.
- Cut bun or slice of white bread into fine dices. Unreel the puffy paste and place the minced mushrooms on top of it. Leave about 3 cm around the edge. Evenly spread the bread crumps over the filling.
- Stir vegan meat paste until it’s creamy, spread on half of it onto the vegan roast and place it with the covered side facing down on top of the filled puffy pastry. Now spread the rest of the paste on top of the vegan roast and carefully roll the roast into the puffy pastry. Wrap the ends of the pastry around the roast so that it’s fully covered and no liquid can leak while roasting. Carefully place the wrapped roast with the seam facing down onto a baking paper covered baking tray.
- Stir a drop of tomato paste into some Almond or Soy Cuisine and brush evenly onto the puffy pastry. Roast for about 30 to 40 minutes at 180 °C in preheated oven.
- Peel Carrots and half them lengthwise. For the marinade whisk olive oil, Agave nectar, the two mustards, vinegar and soy sauce. Intermix crushed garlic clove. Roll the carrots in half of the marinade, put in an oven-proof can and roast for 30 to 40 minutes at 200°C in preheated oven. Fold fine minced parsley in the rest of the marinade and pour over the roasted carrots and season with fresh grinded pepper.
- For the sauce peel and fine-mince shallots and sauté in some olive oil.
Pour Madeira dessert-wine, add two rosemary twigs together with some Thyme twigs and scored orange peel. Cook at medium heat and let it reduce to about half. Pour light vegetable fond and let simmer for another 5 minutes after that pour the sauce through a colander into a pot and let it simmer until the considered viscosity is achieved. Stir in some corn starch if necessary.
Our tip: Our recommendation for the solemn feast is a fruity red wine (Rapunzel Organic MERLOT DOC Piave 0,75l) which harmonizes very well with our Christmas-main course.
Portion: 4-5 People
Recipe: Sophie Mathisz / Photo: Marcus Maly