- 1 red onion, medium-sized
- 1 red cabbage
- 4 potatoes, floury cooking
- Some sunflower oil, for roasting
- 1 l vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 tsp orange-vinegar
- 300 ml apple juice, unfiltered
- 1 Orange, peel scoring and juice
- Pinch cloves, ground
- Pinch chili powder
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tsp agave syrup or maple syrup
- Some oat-cream
Crostini with onion-baked apple-Confit
- 5-6 red onions
- 2 apples, hard ones (z.B. Boskop)
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 70 ml Balsamico-vinegar
- 3 tsp Crema di Balsamico
- 1 Baguette
- A handful of parsley, freshly minced
- Peel onions and and potatoes and cube it.
Äußere Blätter vom Rotkohl Remove the outer leaves from the red cabbage, cut it in half, cut out the stems and hash the cabbage
- Heat some sunflower oil in a big pot and stew the onions in it. Add potato pieces and the hashed red cabbage and roast it together for 5 min..
Infuse vegetable broth and boil vegetable in a covered pot for 15-20 min. and stir it occasionally.
- Take the pot away from the oven and purée the cooked vegetable very finely.
Stir bay leaves, apple vinegar and unfiltered apple juice as well as peel scoring and the freshly pressed juice from an orange and simmer the soup at middle-heat for another 8-10 min.
Season to taste the red cabbage soup with chili and clove powder as well as freshly ground black pepper, salt and agave syrup.
- For the Confit: peel onions, cut it in half and slice them very finely.
- Wash apples, quarter it and cut out the apple core, cube the pulp finely.
- Heat some sunflower oil in a big pan and roast the onion slices. Add the apple cubes and roast them under occasionally turning for 5 min. and then push it on the outer space of the pan.
- Spread a bit of sugar in the middle of the pan and let it caramelise at middle-heat. Infuse Balsamico-vinegar and mix it fast with the caramelised sugar and then stir it under the onion-baked apple-vegetable.
Stir Crema di Balsamico and season to taste the Confit with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Paint a second pan with some olive oil or another plant oil.
Cut baguette in aslope, thin slices and roast it from every side.
- Arrange the warm red cabbage-soup in small bowls, garnish it with some oat-cream and add freshly minced parsley.In addition serve warm Crostini from the pan with some onion-baked apple-Confit.
Our tip: A fruity-dry red wine (e.g. Rapunzel Bio MERLOT DOC Piave 0,75l) tastes fantastic with this delicious appetizer and supports the fine red cabbage-flavor!
Portion: 4-6 peoplen
Recipe: Sophie Mathisz / Photo: Marcus Maly