Ingredients (for four people):
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 100g-150g soy steaks
- black pepper ground
- paprika, sweet
- 300ml soy drink
- 3 heaped tablespoons wheat
- 4 handful of corn flakes, for breading
- 4 handful of breadcrumbs, for breading
- wheat flour for breading
- vegetable oil, for frying
ROCKET POTATO MASH:
- 800g potatoes, floury
- 50g vegetable margarine
- 250-300ml soy drink
- 2 handfuls of rocket, chopped
- 2 cucumbers
- 1-2 tablespoons salt
- 400ml water, cold
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 teaspoons agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
- ½ teaspoon paprika, sweet
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring vegetable to boil and insert soy steaks, let soak for 20-30 minutes, turning from time to time. Remove from the stock, let cool and squeeze excess fluid.
- Sprinkle soy steaks generously on both sides with ground black pepper and paprika, working steaks and seasoning with your hands.
- Pour soy drink in a bowl, add 3 tablespoons flour, stirring constantly until smooth. Mix crumbled cornflakes and breadcrumbs (1:1) in a bowl and pour flour on a second dish.
- Bread the seasoned schnitzel whole or in strips: at first, turn them in the flour, then dunk them into the soy drink flour mixture and le excess liquid drain. Last, turn them in the crumbled cornflakes and breadcrumbs.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large cubes. Cook potato pieces in a pot with salted water until well done and and pour out water. Work the hot potatoes with a potato masher immediately, add margarine pieces and go on. Add shots of soy drink and keep mixing until the desired creaminess is reached. Last wash fresh rocket, pat dry, chop finely and stir into the puree.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a large frying pan and fry soy schnitzel on both sides over medium heat until crispy and golden brown.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut into very fine slices. Give cucumber slices in a bowl, sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of salt and mix thoroughly. Let strips rest in the salt for 10 minutes until the liquid has left. Put slices in a colander and wash with cold water.
- Mix old water with vinegar and agave syrup. Add garlic, paprika, ground pepper and whisk thoroughly. Add salt to taste. Give dressing to the prepared slices of cucumber in the salad bowl and let draw 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
Our tip: Also vegan fish fingers taste great on rocket-potato mash and garlic-paprika-cucumber salad!
A recipe from Sophie Mathisz