- 3 rhubarb stalks, fresh
- 1 red onion, big
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chili pepper, red
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp mustard flour
- 1 heaped tsp paprika powder, sweet
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 100 g brown sugarr
- 1 can tomatoes, pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 heaped tsp celery salt
- 1 level tsp black pepper, ground
- 500 g white asparagus
- 2-3 slices lemon, with peel
- Handful thyme or other herbs
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 50 g Alsan
- Wash rhubarb thoroughly, peel and dice.
- Wash and dice onion and garlic. Halve chili, core and dice.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onion, garlic and chili until glassy. Add mustard flour and paprika powder and roast for 2 minutes. Pour in red wine vinegar. Add brown sugar and let caramelize. Finally add canned tomato with liquid, rhubarb and all remaining ingredients. Reduce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Fill hot ketchup in glasses, seal airtight and let cool. Store cool to achieve longer (some weeks) shelf life.
- Peel asparagus and cut off the lower ends. Use a steam pot to receive a tender and aromatic asparagus: fill half of the pot with water and add salt. Put asparagus in layers in the upper part of the pot, place lemon slices and herbs on top and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add little pieces of Alsan to the top. Cook for 20 minutes with closed pot lid over medium heat and serve directly from the pot.
Serve the hot asparagus with a layer of rhubarb ketchup.
Our tip: Our spicy Virginia-Steak makes the perfekt side dish for this culinary delight!
Portion: 2 people