2 cups warm water
1 tsp sea salt, heaped
2 cups pre-cooked white cornmeal (from P.A.N)
2 ripe avocados
8-10 cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
½ onion, finely diced
Pinch of salt
A small handful of radishes, thinly sliced
1 pack (175g) Mexican BUMI tempeh
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
1. To prepare the arepas: add all the ingredients into a bowl and stir with a spoon or your hands until a dough forms. The dough should not stick to your hands - you are looking for a moist and malleable dough that can easily be shaped into a ball.
2. Grab large handfuls of the dough, and roll into balls before gently flattening into thick disks.
3. Preheat a pan without any oil and carefully add the arepas one by one making sure that you do not overcrowd the pan. Cook each side of the arepa for 8 min - 10 min on low - medium heat.
4. Use the already warm pan from the arepas, add a little oil, and bake the tempeh on medium for a few minutes. Make sure to toss the tempeh a few times so that they cook evenly.
5. Meanwhile prepare guacamole base by mashing the avocados in a small bowl before adding the other ingredients and mixing well.
6. Assembly: Place a generous amount of guacamole and tempeh onto each arepa, top it with radish, spinach and celery. You could also make a cut into the side of each arepa, making a pocket similar to that of a pita that is perfect for filling.
You want to cook the recipe directly?
When creating our recipes, we use the products suggested in the ingredient list. You can easily order them from our online shop and get the perfect result. Below the recipe list you will find all the ingredients we have in our range.
By clicking on the button "Add all products to shopping cart", you can put all the ingredients you need in your shopping cart. Then you just have to select the right quantity and you can order your ingredients directly.