Ingredients (for five people):
- 5 pears (firm)
- 2½ orange, juice freshly squeezed
- 3-4 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 liter of water
- 1 pack vanilla sugar
- 8 dates, stoned
- 70 g chopped almonds
- ½ orange, juice freshly squeezed
- 1 pack vegan puff roll, à 275 g
- vegan alternative to chocolate spread, room temperature
- icing sugar
- Peel pears, do not remove the stems.
- Stir water, freshly squeezed orange juice and agave syrup with vanilla sugar and boil in a large pot. Reduce heat and cook peeled pears whole about 5-6 minutes with a closed pot lid in stock.
- Take pears from the stock and let them cool slightly. Cut the upper part of the pears with the stem and set aside. Remove with the cores with an apple corer.
- Cut dates into pieces and give them together with the juice of half an orange and the roughly chopped almonds in a kitchen blender. Puree everything to a paste and fill the mixture into a piping bag.
- Fill the puree into the hollowed pears, using the piping bag. Brush each pear with vegan alternative to chocolate spread and set "cover" with the pear stem back to each pear.
- Unroll the vegan puff roll and cut on the longer side along into strips about 1cm wide. Wrap the pears with the strips slightly overlapping, best starting from the top.
- Place pears on a backing tray with baking paper and bake about 15-20 minutes at 180 °C in a preheated oven until golden brown. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve garnished with vegetarian whipped cream.
Our tip: Tastes heavenly fresh from the oven, served with home made vanilla ice cream.
Recipe by Sophie Mathisz