BASE FOR PUMPKIN-PURÈE:
- 1 Hokkaido-Pumpkin á 700g, grated
- 500 ml water
- 1 cube yeast
- 580 g wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100 g sugar
- 80 g Alsan, room temperature
- 80 ml soy-drink vanilla
- 200 g pumpkin purée
- 200 g pecans
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 30 ml soy-drink vanilla
- Baking paper
- Pumpkin purée
- 1 Orange, juice and zest
- 300 ml water
- 200 g brown sugar
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- ¼ tsp cloves, ground
- ¼ tsp chili powder
PUMPKIN-MACCHIATO (1 Portion)
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 2-3 tbsp pumpkin-syrup
- 150 ml oat drink
- Double espresso per portion
- Pinch cinnamon for decoration
- Wash, halve and core pumpkin. Cut into large pieces and grate with peel. Give grated pumpkin in a large bowl, add 500ml water and let simmer for 20 minutes until done, stirring from time to time.
- Puree with a blender for a few minutes. Use 200g for the pastries and the rest for the macchiato.
- Crumble yeast in a bowl and mix with 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp lukewarm soy-drink until smooth. Cover with a rag and let rest at a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Give flour in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, yeast mixture, sugar, Alsan, 20ml vanilla soy-drink and 200g pumpkin puree. Knead everything to a homogenous, smooth yeast dough and let rest at a warm place for another 15 minutes.
- Save 6 pecans for decoration and chop the remaining nuts coarsely in a blender. Mix chopped nuts with sugar and vanilla soy-drink.
- Separate dough in 6 evenly pieces und knead each to a ball. Flatten by hand and give 1 tbsp nut-purée in the middle of each. Fold dough around the purée and form balls again. Wrap a long yarn crosswise around each ball – that’s how the dough takes its pumpkin-shape. Stick a pecan in the upper middle of each ball.
Put the dough balls on a baking tray, lined with baking paper. Let rest for 10 minutes and brush with some vanilla soy-drink. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 190 °C. Brush a second time after 20 minutes of baking.
Let cool, cut of the yarn and remove it carefully.
- Take 1-2 tbsp pumpkin-purée per portion and set aside. Give remaining purée in a large pot, together with freshly squeezed juice and grated zest of an orange and water.
- Mix with brown sugar, pulp of ½ vanilla bean, cinnamon, ground cloves and chili powder. Heat while stirring until the sugar is caramelized and the ingredients turn into a sticky golden-brown syrup. Take from the oven and press through a fine sieve. Fill in glass jars immediately and let cool.
Pumpkin-Macchiato (1 Portion):
- Beat 150 ml oat drink with a milk foamer. Give 1-2 tbsp pumpkin purée in a coffee glass, pour in 2-3 tbsp pumpkin syrup and add 100ml oat drink. Pour a hot, double espresso in the glass and add the remaining, foamy, oat drink.
- Decorate with a pinch cinnamon.
Our tip: Bring the spicy syrup to the breakfast table: try almond yoghurt (Provamel Bio SOJA Joghurtalternative Mandel, 500g) with fresh mango and a splash pumpkin-syrup for the extra kick!
Portion: 6 people
Recipe: Sophie Mathisz / photo: Marcus Maly