Ingredients (for eight people):
- 500g wheat flour
- 30g fresh yeast
- 220ml soy drink, hand hot
- 40g sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 70g Alsan
- 1 glass of sour cherries (about 300g drained weight)
- 1 small jar of Amarena cherries (optional)
- 250g raw marzipan
- 100g chopped almonds
- sliced almonds
- 30ml soy cream
- Fillthe flour in a large mixing bowl. Press a little hole in the flour by hand. Crumble fresh yeast into a cup, mix with a teaspoon of sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of the warm soy drink and pour it into the hole in the flour. Sprinkle the yeast mixture in the bowl with a little flour. Cover the bowl with a clean, dry kitchen towel and let dough rise about 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Add the remaining soy milk, Alsan, sugar and a pinch of salt to the dough in the bowl and knead with the hand mixer into a uniform dough. Finally, knead the dough for a few minutes on a floured work surface with your hands again thoroughly and form it into a ball. Cover the dough ball with a kitchen towel and let it rise again for about 60 minutes in a warm place.
- Drain sour cherries from the glass thoroughly and cut cherries into small pieces.
- Grate marzipan into a mixing bowl. Add chopped almonds and cherry pieces and mix all to a uniform mass.
- Split the dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece with your hands to form a roll. Use a thoroughly floured surface with a rolling pin to form them into rectangles about 10 x 35 cm each.
- Spread 1/3 of the cherry-marzipan filling in a center line over the entire length of each dough rectangle. Leave about 4cm dough crust blank on both sides. Place whole Amarena cherries at a distance of a few centimeters on the filling and press them softly. Now fold the dough edges around the filling, so that a long rolling pin with filling is produced (rework everything with your hands if leaks appear, so that the filling is unable to drip out of the roll while baking).
- Put the three rolls gently on a baking tray, lined with baking paper. Squeeze the endings softly and twist them into a braid. Let the braid rise for 15 minutes.
- Brush the braid thoroughly with liquid soy cream and sprinkle with almonds.
Bake at 180 °C in a preheated oven until golden brown (about 30 minutes).
Our tip: Also delicious with dried fruits instead of sour cherries and chocolate covered Amarena cherries.
Recipe by Sophie Mathisz