Ingredients (for four people):
- 400g marzipan
- 100ml of orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 200g sugar
- 150g almonds, ground
- 150g hazelnuts, ground
- 50g almonds, coarsely chopped
- 50g pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 140g wheat flour
- 50g candied orange
- 50g candied lemon
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 1 bag gingerbread spice
- pinch of salt
- dark chocolate or
- 6-8 tablespoons powdered sugar
- some teaspoons lemon juice or water
- round gingerbread wafers (70 mm Ø)
- blanched almonds
- Mix small pieces of marzipan with freshly squeezed orange juice, jam and sugar.
- Roast ground and coarsely chopped nuts (except the pistachios) in a dry frying pan slowly until they develop a pleasant nut flavour. Add roasted nuts, chopped pistachios and all remaining ingredients to the marzipan mass in the bowl and knead to form a homogeneous dough.
- Give gingerbread dough on the wafers, and put a blanched almond on the surface of each. Place gingerbread on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 20-25 minutes at 170 °C in a preheated oven. (get them out of the oven when the surfaces has a light tan - fresh from the oven, the gingerbread is still very soft, but during cooling it becomes solid and remains nice juicy and nutty inside)
- Depending on your mod, you can melt dark chocolate in a double water boiler and spread it all over the gingerbread or create a sugar icing, stirring a few teaspoons of water into 6-8 tablespoons of icing sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice until the mass becomes viscous.
Our tip: Already in the Christmas stress and no time for baking? Then try our delicious simple white Elisen Gingerbread of Vegan Bakery!
A recipe from Sophie Mathisz